Our Company Blog

Preventing Carbon Monoxide In Your Home

There are a lot of things to worry about as a homeowner… that’s why we are here to help you stay educated on the important topics! We want to make it easy to keep your home protected and safer to live in all year long, which is why we’d like to focus on carbon monoxide and how to avoid exposure to it. Learn more about this hazardous gas below, then review our tips for properly avoiding it.

What Is Carbon Monoxide?

Preventing Carbon Monoxide in Your Home - Littleton, CO - Mountain Man Fireplace and ChimneyCarbon monoxide is known for it’s undetectable nature and harmful medical side effects. It has no color and no odor, which makes it nearly impossible to notice within your home. This is a major reason why this particular gas is so scary! Unfortunately, it can cause some serious illnesses to occur and could even be fatal if not addressed right away. Take all of the necessary precautions to ensure your home stays carbon monoxide free, no matter what.

How Can I Avoid It?

Luckily, there are things you can do to ensure your loved ones don’t become victims of carbon monoxide poisoning. First off, have carbon monoxide detectors installed throughout the residence. This a surefire way to know whether or not carbon monoxide has found its way into your home. Be sure to regularly test these devices and change the batteries twice a year to ensure they are always working properly.

Next, have a certified technician inspect your appliances at least once per year. This is the best way to prevent bigger issues from occurring down the line, and these professionals can let you know of any potential leaks or airflow issues that could bring about exposure to harmful toxins.

And remember… never light camp stoves, grills, or similar items inside of your home, and never use a fireplace or stove that isn’t hooked up to a proper ventilation system. Always have a professional install any new appliance in your home to ensure no potentially harmful problems occur. Also, never let your vehicle run while parked in your garage, as these fumes can lead to serious illness or death.

We Can Help You Out

Whether you need help with inspections, installations, repairs, or other regular maintenance, the CSIA certified staff at Mountain Man Fireplace & Chimney is here to help you out. Call us today, so that we can make your home safer for years to come!

If you are aware of carbon monoxide in your home, exit the premises at once and call 911. Proper authorities can then address the issue, while you and loved ones are safely away from danger. If you suspect anyone has symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, such as fatigue, dizziness, nausea, or lightheadedness, let medical personnel know right away.

By Jake Johnson on October 17th, 2017 | Tagged with: Tags: , , | Leave a Comment

Practice Fireplace Safety This Winter

Brr! Temperatures have dropped and snow is all around, meaning the winter season has officially arrived. If you spend your days out and about in the cold weather, then you deserve a warm, cozy spot to come home to. Does relaxing in front of a fireplace sound like the best way to spend your evening? We think so, too! Yet, it’s important to make sure your appliance is safe for regular use, before lighting anything up.

Practice Fireplace Safety - Littleton CO - Mountain Man Fireplace & ChimneyTake note of these fireplace safety tips and be sure to educate your family, as well. Staying up-to-date on proper procedures and regulations will help ensure your home is kept as safe as possible this winter.

Schedule An Inspection

First and foremost, have your chimney inspected and swept before doing anything else. Having a certified expert take a look will ensure that no cracks, holes, or other deterioration will make your chimney unsuitable for regular use. Any defect, small or large, could trigger big problems down the line. It is recommended to schedule an inspection once a year. If you use your fireplace often, then consider upping that to two or three.

Check Your Smoke Detectors

Do you have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home? If not, be sure to purchase them and have them installed as soon as possible! These devices have made the difference for countless families and play a vital role in alerting everyone of potential dangers. Should a fire occur, getting everyone out safely is the most important thing – install your detectors today.

Once installed, check these devices at least once a month, and change the batteries twice a year. The regular lifespan of a smoke detector is 10 years, so double check the expiration date on yours if it has been awhile.

Maintaining Safe Fires

Once your home is ready, you can start lighting up your fires. Yet, there are things to keep in mind throughout this process, as well. Keep the area around the fire clear of anything flammable, such as blankets, pillows, holiday décor, clothing, and more. You will also want to keep any children or small pets away from the flame. Set rules right away, so the little ones know the fire is completely off limits.

When you go to light your fire, only use seasoned wood to keep it fueled. Throwing paper plates, leftover food, wrapping paper, and other garbage into the fireplace will send harmful toxins into your air. Once you have a fire lit, never leave it unattended. Monitor the flame at all times and do not go to bed unless everything is completely out.

Call On Us!

For any fireplace-related question or service, depend on the professionals at Mountain Man Fireplace and Chimney! We can help you out today.

By Jake Johnson on January 5th, 2017 | Tagged with: Tags: , , | Leave a Comment

Carbon Monoxide Crash Course

What exactly is carbon monoxide?

As defined by the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission, carbon monoxide—also known as (CO)—is a deadly, colorless, odorless, tasteless, poisonous gas; these qualities have earned it the nickname “The Silent Killer.” It is mainly emitted by the partial burning of a number of fuel resources; these include propane, wood, coal, oil, kerosene, and natural gases. Most products out in the market and equipment we use on a day to day basis also produce CO.

Why should homeowners know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Your chimney and heating appliance are designed to be long-lasting and safe when properly maintained. For the safety of your home and family, make regular chimney system maintenance a priority!

Your chimney and heating appliance are designed to be long-lasting and safe when properly maintained. For the safety of your home and family, make regular chimney system maintenance a priority!

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), learning the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and the steps you can take to minimize your risk of exposure is also crucial to keeping you and your loved ones safe. At moderate CO levels, you and your family can get severe headaches, become dizzy or disoriented, mentally confused, nauseated, or faint. It’s possible to die if these levels persist for an extended period of time. Low levels of CO can cause shortness of breath, mild nausea and headaches, and may have longer-term effects on overall health.

Because many of these symptoms are similar to those of more common ailments like the flu and food poisoning, many don’t even think of CO poisoning. This is the first mistake. If these symptoms only appear when you’re in the house and then get better when you leave home, CO poisoning could very likely be the culprit. Getting fresh air as soon as any of these symptoms surface is key.

What are some preventive measures one may take to remove carbon monoxide from the equation?

  1. Proper skills, knowledge, and tools are required when operating fuel-burning equipment. Check the owner’s manual when performing minor adjustments or servicing fuel-burning machinery.
  2. Portable fuel-burning camping equipment should never be used indoors or in an enclosed space unless it is specifically designed for such use.
  3. Recognize the need to have yearly inspection and maintenance of your heating systems to prevent the likelihood of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Having this kind of knowledge relating to what carbon monoxide really is and what it can do to you and your entire family is key; it’s best to be proactive and take action now rather than sit back and wait until something happens to react. If preventive measures are to be taken (the first of which should be to secure the annual maintenance of your chimney or fireplace), then so be it.

Most of the time, a home’s heating system is often overlooked due to the lack of information on its importance to homeowners. Whether it be mild or severe CO poisoning, it pays to be vigilant. Keep two things in mind:

  1. There are no dumb questions.
  2. Failure to ask a question you think is dumb could cost you your life.

There’s no time to waste! Contact Mountain Man Fireplace and Chimney, Inc now. We’ll be glad to answer any and all questions you may have. Pick up that phone and schedule an appointment today!

The Science of Combustion

What are the elements that make up a well-lit fire? How do you keep the flame alive? These can all be answered by the science of combustion.

By knowing how the combustion process works, you are guaranteed safety, efficiency, and comfort.

By knowing how the combustion process works, you are guaranteed safety, efficiency, and comfort.