For your fireplace, winter means more than just snow, ice, and freezing temperatures; it is also the period of heaviest fireplace use during the year. Because of this, many fireplaces enter spring a little worse for the wear and are in need of repairs. Luckily, spring is the best time for exterior chimney services!
There is a reason chimneys are built out of bricks and mortar – it is one of the strongest building materials on the planet. However, there are a number of ways that masonry can become damaged. Exposure to the elements, extreme weather, house settling, and even animals can all cause damage to your masonry. However, the most common cause of masonry damage is from moisture; water from rain, snow, ice, and even hoses or sprinklers can all cause damage to the bricks. Over time, exposure to moisture can even damage the masonry to the point of affecting the structural stability of the chimney.
What are the signs of masonry damage?
There are varying degrees of masonry damage, ranging from minor cracks and chips to spalling bricks that affect the structural stability of the chimney. However, there are several signs that may indicate your masonry has been damaged.
– Chips or cracks in the bricks and mortar
– Missing pieces of masonry
– Stained masonry
– Growth of ivy or climbing vines on the chimney
– Chimney leaks
Since most of us do not spend a great deal of time studying our chimneys, it can be difficult to tell when damage has occurred. Because of this, an annual sweeping and inspection are an important part of keeping your chimney in good condition. Regular inspections can often identify masonry damage before it progresses into a dangerous problem.
Why is spring the best time for masonry repairs?
The following are four reasons why spring is the best time of year for exterior chimney services.
– Low use period: With warmer temperatures outside, most homeowners do not use their fireplaces in the spring. This means that you will not be affected if the fireplace cannot be used for a period of time during repairs.
– Flexible scheduling: Because spring is the “off season” for chimneys, scheduling during this time of year is more flexible. During the spring, homeowners are often able to get appointments times that are convenient for them with minimal waiting.
– Weather: Many masonry repairs cannot be completed if the weather is too cold or too hot. Spring has ideal weather conditions to help get repairs completed quickly with minimal delays.
– Be ready for fall: Even if you aren’t planning on using your fireplace for several months, having it repaired during the spring means there will be no waiting when you’re ready for fires in the fall.
If your chimney’s masonry needs to be repaired and you live around Lakewood, now is the best time of year to have it done. Call Mountain Man Fireplace & Chimney today to schedule your exterior chimney services!