Preventing Carbon Monoxide In Your Home


There are a lot of things to worry about as a homeowner… that’s why we are here to help you stay educated on the important topics! We want to make it easy to keep your home protected and safer to live in all year long, which is why we’d like to focus on carbon monoxide and how to avoid exposure to it. Learn more about this hazardous gas below, then review our tips for properly avoiding it.

What Is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is known for it’s undetectable nature and harmful medical side effects. It has no color and no odor, which makes it nearly impossible to notice within your home. This is a major reason why this particular gas is so scary! Unfortunately, it can cause some serious illnesses to occur and could even be fatal if not addressed right away. Take all of the necessary precautions to ensure your home stays carbon monoxide free, no matter what.

How Can I Avoid It?

Luckily, there are things you can do to ensure your loved ones don’t become victims of carbon monoxide poisoning. First off, have carbon monoxide detectors installed throughout the residence. This a surefire way to know whether or not carbon monoxide has found its way into your home. Be sure to regularly test these devices and change the batteries twice a year to ensure they are always working properly.

Next, have a certified technician inspect your appliances at least once per year. This is the best way to prevent bigger issues from occurring down the line, and these professionals can let you know of any potential leaks or airflow issues that could bring about exposure to harmful toxins.

And remember… never light camp stoves, grills, or similar items inside of your home, and never use a fireplace or stove that isn’t hooked up to a proper ventilation system. Always have a professional install any new appliance in your home to ensure no potentially harmful problems occur. Also, never let your vehicle run while parked in your garage, as these fumes can lead to serious illness or death.

We Can Help You Out

Whether you need help with inspections, installations, repairs, or other regular maintenance, the CSIA certified staff at Mountain Man Fireplace & Chimney is here to help you out. Call us today, so that we can make your home safer for years to come!

If you are aware of carbon monoxide in your home, exit the premises at once and call 911. Proper authorities can then address the issue, while you and loved ones are safely away from danger. If you suspect anyone has symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, such as fatigue, dizziness, nausea, or lightheadedness, let medical personnel know right away.