Practice Fireplace Safety This Winter


Brr! Temperatures have dropped and snow is all around, meaning the winter season has officially arrived. If you spend your days out and about in the cold weather, then you deserve a warm, cozy spot to come home to. Does relaxing in front of a fireplace sound like the best way to spend your evening? We think so, too! Yet, it’s important to make sure your appliance is safe for regular use, before lighting anything up.

Practice Fireplace Safety - Littleton CO - Mountain Man Fireplace & ChimneyTake note of these fireplace safety tips and be sure to educate your family, as well. Staying up-to-date on proper procedures and regulations will help ensure your home is kept as safe as possible this winter.

Schedule An Inspection

First and foremost, have your chimney inspected and swept before doing anything else. Having a certified expert take a look will ensure that no cracks, holes, or other deterioration will make your chimney unsuitable for regular use. Any defect, small or large, could trigger big problems down the line. It is recommended to schedule an inspection once a year. If you use your fireplace often, then consider upping that to two or three.

Check Your Smoke Detectors

Do you have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home? If not, be sure to purchase them and have them installed as soon as possible! These devices have made the difference for countless families and play a vital role in alerting everyone of potential dangers. Should a fire occur, getting everyone out safely is the most important thing – install your detectors today.

Once installed, check these devices at least once a month, and change the batteries twice a year. The regular lifespan of a smoke detector is 10 years, so double check the expiration date on yours if it has been awhile.

Maintaining Safe Fires

Once your home is ready, you can start lighting up your fires. Yet, there are things to keep in mind throughout this process, as well. Keep the area around the fire clear of anything flammable, such as blankets, pillows, holiday décor, clothing, and more. You will also want to keep any children or small pets away from the flame. Set rules right away, so the little ones know the fire is completely off limits.

When you go to light your fire, only use seasoned wood to keep it fueled. Throwing paper plates, leftover food, wrapping paper, and other garbage into the fireplace will send harmful toxins into your air. Once you have a fire lit, never leave it unattended. Monitor the flame at all times and do not go to bed unless everything is completely out.

Call On Us!

For any fireplace-related question or service, depend on the professionals at Mountain Man Fireplace and Chimney! We can help you out today.